More than 24 hours after our family and friends began to feel the effects of Sandy, many are still without power, and will be for some time. I have compiled a list of food pantries in our area to share with you. (This list is not necessarily complete.)
I urge you to share this information with family and friends who will need to replace items lost, due to long-term power outages. Then, please send your most generous donation to the pantry of your choice, to help them restock before the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.
My household was fortunate. We were only without power roughly 14 hours. Now, it’s time to help our neighbors. I hope you will join me in this effort.
Mountaineer Food Bank – Serves 48 counties. Runs Hunters Helping the Hungry program. http://www.mountaineerfoodbank.org/home
Huntington Area Food Bank – Affiliated with Feeding America. Serves 12 counties. http://hafb.org/
* Belle – Belle Ministerial Association Food Pantry, 320 East 8th Street, Belle, WV 25015 304-949-3126
* Charleston – Union Mission, 700 South Park Road, Charleston, WV 25304 The food pantry is open from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday. An appointment to visit the pantry is preferred. Serves Boone, Clay, Kanawha and Putnam counties. Union Mission Outreach distributes food to over sixty hunger-relief programs in forty-six counties of West Virginia.
Salvation Army, 301 Tennessee Avenue, Charleston, 25302, 304-343-4548 Provides a food pantry. Serves Clay County, Kanawha County, Putnam County and Roane County Pantry hours: Mondays through Fridays 8:00am -11:30am
Covenant House, 16 Leon Sullivan Way, Charleston, WV 25301 304-344-8053 Pantry hours: The Drop-In Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 – 4:00 (closed 12:30-1:00 for lunch).
Common Grounds 6600 McCorkle Avenue, SE, Charleston, WV 25304. Serves Belle, Cabin Creek, Cedar Grove, Chelyan, Crown Hill, Dawes, Decota, Diamond, Drybranch, DuPont City, East Bank, Eskdale, Gallagher, Glasgow, Handley, Hansford, Hernshaw, Hugheston, Kanawha City, Kayford, Leewood, London, Malden, Mammoth, Marmet, Miami, Ohley, Pond Gap, Pratt, Quincy, Shrewsbury, Winifrede and Witcher Pantry hours: Tuesday and Thursday
Catholic Charities, 1420 Kanawha Blvd, Charleston, WV 25312 304-345-2103 Provides a food pantry. Serves Kanawha County, Putnam County Pantry hours: Mondays through Fridays 8:30am – 4:30pm
Canaan United Methodist Church, 731 Bigley Avenue, Charleston, WV 25302 Provides a food pantry. Serves 25302 and 25312. Documentation Required: Photo ID Pantry hours: Monday and Thursday: 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Campbells Creek Church of the Nazarene, 543 Campbells Creek Drive, Charleston, 25306 Provides a food pantry. Serves Blount, Tad, Malden, Drybranch and 25304 Pantry hours: Monday: 9:00-12:00
Mountain Mission, 1620 7th Avenue, Charleston, WV 25312, 304-344-3407, Provides a food pantry. Serves Charleston West Side, Sissonville, Elkview area of 25312. Documentation Required: ID, proof of income, verifiable reason of need Pantry hours: Mondays through Fridays 8:00am -4:30pm
Covenant House of WV, 600 Shrewsbury Street, Charleston, WV 25301, 304-344-8053 Provides a food pantry. Serves 22 Southern West Virginia Counties Pantry hours: Mondays through Fridays 8:00am – 4:00pm
* Chesapeake – Capital Resource Agency – Chesapeake, 12404 MacCorkle Avenue, Chesapeake, WV 25312 304-949-6077 Provides a food pantry. Serves Belle, Blount, Cabin Creek, Cedar Grove, Chelyan, Crown Hill, Dawes, Decota, Diamond, Drybranch, Dupont City, East Bank, Eskdale, Gallagher, Glasgow, Handley, Hansford, Hernshaw, Hugheston, Kayford, Leewood, London, Marmet, Miami, Ohley, Pond Gap, Pratt, Quincy, Shrewsbury, Winifrede and Witcher Pantry hours: Mondays through Thursdays 9am – 3pm and Friday
* East Bank – Good Shepherd Mission, 1013 First Avenue, East Bank, WV 25067 304-595-6002 Provides a food pantry. Serves Cabin Creek, Chelyan, Crown Hill, Dawes, Decota, Drybranch, East Bank, Eskdale, Gallagher, Kayford, Leewood, Marmet, Miami, Ohley, Pratt, Quincy, Shrewsbury, Winifrede Pantry hours: 10:00am – 4:00pm
* St. Albans – Manna Ministries, 114 West Main Street, St. Albans, WV 25177 304-727-6520 Food Pantry Location: 2.39 miles from Saint Albans. Provides a food pantry. Serves St Albans, Jefferson.
St. Peter’s United Methodist Church, 2601 Forrestal Ave, St. Albans, WV 25177. Food Pantry Location: 4.24 miles from Saint Albans Provides a food pantry. Serves Saint Albans. Documentation Required: Proof of residency and photo ID. Must be registered with Nitro-St Albans Care and Share to receive services. Pantry hours: Call Monday or Wednesday to register for pick-up. Pick-up: Tuesday and Thursday: 9am – 12pm